I don't think I need to really prove to you, how youth these days are so engaged with the social media and the internet. With Facebook, twitter and all the other social media cites, with information readily available at your fingertips, it had become so hard to keep a secret these days. Almost anything and and everything that is out there could be made into news, or subjected to controversy. But what I have really observed these days, especially among the youths is that they are becoming easily impressionable. Whatever they witness in the social media or any other sites per se, it is easily speculated. And people who know this first hand are taking into their advantage. It is so easy to make news with the youth today.
Why? Because they will believe what they see.
Yes, that had become the sad reality. Youth today are being constantly bombarded with social issues, that they might be overwhelmed and don't know what exactly is happening. And they are conditioned to believe whatever they see or hear. And the youth cannot alone be blamed. Some media knowing for a fact that young people tend to buy anything they hear and so the media tends to exploit the truth to create a substantial "story" that better sells.
So what happened to Kony?
If my memory serves me right, not too long ago there was this video made about a Ugandan guerrilla group leader that went viral among the youth in the social media. This issue (about Kony) had been well exhausted so I wouldn't want to go into the minutiae about it. As soon as the video went viral, I saw several people open up groups about arresting Kony and his army. People were flaring with comments and sharing their thoughts about it. Please don't consider me cynical, but I found those activities extremely amusing. This goes back to my question,
what happened to Kony? He still remains at large.
Well why is this happening?
After an little bit of careful observation and research, I found two reasons.
Youth these days are missing the capabilities to think critically and question what they see or hear.
What they see they believe. They think or question very less. In today's world we are bombarded with information which could either be true or false. Sad to say mostly false. And I believe that it is our responsibility as the youth to not fall prey to narrative false stories.
It's almost like how millions of youth become "social activists" after watching a 30 minute video. Yes the stories can be extremely manipulative, but you don't need to believe it in the first place. Think about it. Do your own research and find out the truth for yourself. When the reasons convince you. Then you can believe it.
Because I'm a firm believer in the power of youth. We are young and capable. I believe that if combine our energy and fight for a true cause. Then the sky is our limit.
So the next time you read, hear or see something. Ask questions. That is your right!

No comments:
Post a Comment